Friday, August 9, 2013

Painted Dresser



This was my first big project for my new apartment!! I bought the dresser for $25 at the famous Goodwill. It looked ugly with all of the pink flowers, but underneath the ugly paint job was good quality furniture. The entire piece was solid wood (drawers, backing, etc), and it had nice dovetailed drawers. It was also branded by Tradewinds furniture (Note: crappy furniture isn't branded by a company, no one wants their furniture to say "Walmart"). 

I began this project by attempting to strip off the pink paint (a process that was new for me). After stripping one side of the dresser I decided I will NEVER again strip furniture!! It was frustrating, time consuming, and not worth the effort. I switched to old fashioned sanding, and I was much happier with the results. After sanding, I wiped the dresser down to remove any excess dust. I then painted the dresser with primer, followed by 2-3 coats of paint. I let each coat dry for about 5 hours just to be safe. As a finishing touch I added new knobs to the drawers; if you want to get really fancy with the knobs Hobby Lobby has a wide selection.

I love this piece of furniture now!! It's modern and good quality!! 




1 comment: